Printable copy here: sept-25j-2016
NINETEENTH Sunday after pentecost Sept. 25, 2016
Welcome to St. Augustine’s.
Find out more about who we are in the pew brochure or online at www.staugustinesedmonton.com
8:00AM SAID ANGLICAN EUCHARIST
10:00AM – OUR MAIN SERVICE OF WORSHIP WHICH CHANGES WITH THE CHURCH SEASONS AND ALWAYS INCLUDES HOLY COMMUNION AND KID’S TIME.
|This Week’s Scripture Readings:
Nineteenth Sunday after Pentecost
Jeremiah 32:1-3a, 6-15
Psalm 91:1-6, 14-16
1 Timothy 6:6-19
10:00 am Liturgy: BAS
|Next Week’s Scripture Readings:
Twentieth Sunday after Pentecost
2 Timothy 1:1-14
10:00 am Liturgy: Intergenerational
Events This Week
- Remember how we went to Grace United in June? Sunday at 10am we are hosting their whole congregation at St. Augustine’s! For some extra snacks after the service, please bring scones, muffins or coffee cake to share.
- PIE MAKING 101 – Monday, September 26 and Monday, October 03 @ 7:00 pm – contact Mary 708 469-3547 or June 780 469-0733.
- SIMPLE SUPPER – Friday, September 30th at 5:30. Come and bring a friend. (Fund raiser for GANG -see back page.)
- BUILDING A BRIGHTER 101 AVENUE – THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 29 @ Forest Heights School – 10304 – 81 Street. Drop in anytime from 5 to 8 pm. City of Edmonton Kirstin Pachero 101AvenuecorridorStudy@Edmonton.ca – See notice board.
- TUESDAYS AT BLUES JAVA BAR (50 STREET & 106 AVENUE) – Coffee and conversation on the first and third weeks of the month at 10 am. Come and join us for stimulating conversation on various topics of choice. Next meeting on Tuesday, October 4th.
- CENTERING PRAYER – St. Augustines – Wednesday, October 05 – two -1 hour sessions of teaching on centering prayer – 10am or 7 pm. Centering prayer is a form of silent meditation in the Christian tradition. NO reservation required.
- IN SEARCH OF ENGLISH TUTORS – There are two Liberian families who arrived in Canada one year ago who live in this neighborhood. If you would be willing to volunteer for 1 hour a week with helping a newcomer learn English, please contact Jenny at 780-435-6328.
- THE KING’S UNIVERSITY – Campus Visit Opportunities – Open House – Evening Course: War and Peace and other events – Start up Oct 22. See the notice board for details.
- St. IGNATIUS SPIRITUAL EXERCISES – You may begin this fall as individual meetings with Pat Jameson. Please talk to Pat or Rev. Jonathan for more info on this tool for seeking greater depth in prayer and faith.
- MESSY CHURCH – ST. LUKE’S – October 15 – 4 to 6 pm – Share a meal at this Family-friendly fun way to explore the Story of God’s love.
- SENIOR’S YOUTHFUL GROUP – 2016 – Grace United – Wednesday, October 19th – Salisbury Greenhouse for a workshop on herb baskets. – Cost $15.00 Plus, depending on plants purchased. Time to be determined.
- A reminder to book any space you need at the church through the church office so it can be checked against the master calendar.
The church office is open Monday mornings from 9:30 to 11:30 and Thursday mornings from 9:30 to 12:00. Any mail for the office? Please drop it in the office mailbox (in the other building), or in the ‘Admin’ mailbox downstairs. There is also a form for cheque requisitions if you have receipts to submit for payment.
Anglican Diocese Announcements
Anglican’s are busy across the diocese – see more events on the Diocesan “SYNOD SCENE” at www.edmonton.anglican.org . You can get it by email too!
- SENIORS HOUSING FORUM – SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 24 – 9:00 am to 2:30 pm – Central Lions Seniors Centre – 11113 – 113 Street – Topics include “Home & Independent Living”, “Supportive & Facility Living”. “Caregiver Support & Dynamics”, “Downsizing/Managing a Move” and more.
- MULTICULTURAL WOMEN & SENIORS SERVICES ASSOCIATION – Saturday, October 01 – 6:00 pm – Meridian Banquet Hall – 4810 – 76 Avenue – Meet & Greet Speakers/Display & Entertainment – Dinner 8:30 – 9:00 pm. (No children under 12) – Ticket $25.00 pp Contact 780-465-2992 See notice board.
- REDress Memorial Service – All Saints’ Cathedral on Tuesday, October 4 at 7:00 pm for the more than 1,000 missing/murdered aboriginal women in Canada. All are invited. For more information, visit www.TheREDressProject.org
- DIOCESE OF EDMONTON – TIME TO GIVE BLOOD – Diocese of Edmonton has pledged to give 100 units of Blood in 2016. For your donation to count towards our goal – register online at blood.ca/joinpartnersforlife and enter Partner ID code ANGL696986 or call 1 888 236-6283 to Book or to speak to a Nurse (if you have any eligibility questions. The Diocese hopes to reach its goal by December 31. VERY CRITICAL.
- Clayton Ernst is our parish representative on the garden committee.
THROUGH THE WEEK AT. A’s:
Music Together – Kid’s music program. Most Monday and Thursday mornings at the church. www.musictogethernl.com
Sound Opportunity – Wednesday evenings at 7 pm www.sing4me.ca
Gentle Hatha Yoga – Tuesday mornings at 9:30 am. ($16 each for 18 classes)
Education for Ministry (EFM) – 4-year theology course. Contact June Miller – 780 447-2593 for more info.
Geo Bar – See Justina at work in our kitchen and at local markets.
GANG – Grandmothers of Alberta for a New Generation (GANG) works with the Stephen Lewis Foundation to support African grandmothers raising their grandchildren as a result of AIDS. An awareness, advocacy and fundraising group.
GEA-Greater Edmonton Alliance – organization of Faith Groups, Unions, Community Action Groups and Small Businesses ‘organizing for the common good’ to give the public a voice in decision making that affects their lives.
MEN’S COUNCIL – Thursday nights at 7pm led by Ian Portious.