Sixth SUNDAY OF EASTER, May 8, 2016
Printable copy here: May 8, 2016
Welcome to St. Augustine’s.
Find out more about who we are in the pew brochure or online at www.staugustinesedmonton.com
- 8:00am said Anglican Eucharist
- ENCOUNTERS – Sunday mornings 08:30 – 09:30 am Explorative conversations of faith and open questioning to make faith our own. Book studies and video studies from time to time. Please join in!
- 10:00am Our main service of worship which changes with the church seasons and always includes Holy Communion and Kid’s Time
|This Week’s Scripture Readings:
Ascension of the Lord
10am Liturgy: BAS
|Next Week’s Scripture Readings:
Day of Pentecost
10am Liturgy: BAS
Events This Week
- We are happy to welcome today members of Athabasca Diocese and any visitors. We will share in a simple potluck after the 10am service.
- OUR LOCAL 7TH DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH IS HOSTING 10 FAMILIES , THEY NEED DONATIONS. THEY CAN GO DIRECTLY TO THEM (CORNER OF 50TH STREET & 106 AVENUE) diapers, baby wipes, toiletries, new underwear, socks, clothes for all ages, blankets & sheets, similar items are needed at the disaster relief center downtown.
- Belles– Tuesday, May 10 @ 11:30 am lunch at Highlands Golf Course. Cost $20.00. Sign up sheet in the Narthex.
- GREATER EDMONTON ALLIANCE (GEA) – Leadership for Public Life Institute – Mon. May 16, Tue. May 17 & Wed. May 18 – 6pm to 9pm
at Southminster-Steinhauer United Church, 10740 – 19 Avenue. To register contact John Gee 780 439-7344. Deadline May 9.
- On May 29th – GLOBAL GATHERING Pot luck lunch following the 10:00 am service. We will share a joint service and potluck with Iglesia Menonita Manantial de Vida (Spanish Mennonite Church of the Living Water) who make use of our Annex building. If possible, please bring a heritage based dish (any heritage). NO desserts, this has already been provided. It will be a great chance to learn more about one another and share a meal together. Contact Camille 780 732-0230.
- Stuart Scott has moved to Laural Heights Retirement Residence. Contact the office for full address.
- Tuesdays at Blues. Blues Java Bar – 50st & 106ave – makes space for our coffee and conversation the first and third weeks of the month at 10:00am. Next Meeting is May 24th.
- Men’s Group: Do you know that a men’s group meets 7pm Thursday nights at St. A’s in the lounge? Similar to an aboriginal talking circle, space is given for speaking what is on your mind.
- Maureen Campbell has moved to Shepard’s Care Kensington in North Edmonton. We are sad to loose such a friendly face from next door!
- NATIONAL ABORIGINAL DAY – SUNDAY, JUNE 19, 2016. The Anglican Church of Canada’s Primate, The Most Rev. Fred Hiltz has issued a “Call to Action #48 from Canada’s Truth & Reconciliation Commission”. A request that every Parish across Canada use this day as a public reading of the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, accompanied by appropriate prayers and ceremonies in keeping with Indigenous spiritual customs. More details to come.
- On June 12th we have been invited to share worship with Grace United Church. We will not have worship at St. A’s this day, but join them for church and for their summer picnic lunch to follow.
- Simple Supper– Please join us on Friday, May 27th @ 5:30 pm. Come along, bring a friend. Fundraiser for the G.A.N.G (see back page)
The church office is open Monday and Thursday mornings from 9:30 to 12:00. Any mail for the office? Please drop it in the office mailbox (in the other building), or in the ‘Admin’ mailbox in the lobby. There is also a form for cheque requisitions if you have receipts to submit for payment.
Wider Community Announcements
Anglican’s are busy across the diocese – see more events on the Diocesan “SYNOD SCENE” at www.edmonton.anglican.org . You can get it by email too!
- YOUTH TAIZE PILGRIMAGE IN FRANCE – July 22 – August 01, 2016 – Young Adults between 18 & 29 who may be interested are invited to apply. THIS IS A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME. See notice board downstairs. Info sessions this month. Openings still available.
- HABITAT for HUMANITY – 5th Annual Interfaith Build – July 07 to August 25, 2016 – Anyone interested? Please talk to Gail Gravelines.
- ASCENSION HOUSE & ST. AIDAN’S HOUSE -currently recruiting new residents for the 2016-17 term (Beginning September 01, 2016) Nice place to live at a pretty fair price. Age group 18 – 25. Ascension House House is within close proximity of MacEwan Campus and St. Aidan’s is just steps away from u of a campus.
- TEENS 12 TO 15 – SIR wINSTON cHURCHILL provincial pARK –star wars theme camp – august 6 – 12 – see notice board
- Clayton Ernst is our parish representative on the garden committee.
- Year II has begun! It is so great to have such a positive relationship with this neighborhood group – the garden is such a great place to meet local neighbors and support this initiative.
- FULTON PLACE GARDEN TOUR – Tuesday, June 21 & Wednesday, June 22 from 4:30 to 8:00 pm. Adults 10, Seniors $8, children free. Tickets – contact Sheila 780 468-9218.
THROUGH THE WEEK at St. A’s:
Music Together – Kid’s music program. Most Wednesdays and Thursdays mornings at the church. www.musictogethernl.com
Sound Opportunity – Wednesday evenings at 7 pm www.sing4me.ca
Gentle Hatha Yoga – Tuesday mornings at 9:30 am. ($16 each for 18 classes)
Education for Ministry (EFM) – 4-year theology course. Talk to June Miller – 780 447-2593 for more info.
Geo Bar – See Justina at work in our kitchen and at local markets.
GANG – Grandmothers of Alberta for a New Generation (GANG) works with the Stephen Lewis Foundation to support African grandmothers raising their grandchildren as a result of AIDS. An awareness, advocacy and fundraising group.
GEA-Greater Edmonton Alliance – organization of Faith Groups, Unions, Community Action Groups and Small Businesses ‘organizing for the common good’ to give the public a voice in decision making that affects their lives.
The McElhatton School of Irish Dance – Monday and Wednesday night
Men’s Council – Thursday nights at 7pm led by Ian Portious.