Printable copy here: May 15, 2016
DAY OF PENTECOST, MAY 15, 2016
At Pentecost, we remember how, after Jesus ‘ascended’ into God’s realm, the disciples experienced the presence of the Holy Spirit in a new way
Note: While we are not hosting a specific joint service this Sunday for the parishes of Ft. Mac, do expect to see some newer faces from those parishes and welcome them warmly. Last Sunday they were guests, this Sunday they are family.
Welcome to St. Augustine’s.
Find out more about who we are in the pew brochure or online at www.staugustinesedmonton.com
- 8:00am said Anglican Eucharist
- ENCOUNTERS – Sunday mornings -meetings discontinued for summer months. Watch for start up date in September 2016.
- 10:00am Our main service of worship which changes with the church seasons and always includes Holy Communion and Kid’s Time
|This Week’s Scripture Readings:
Day of Pentecost
Genesis 11: 1-9
Psalm 104; 24-34, 35b
Acts 2: 1-21
John 14; 8-17
10am Liturgy: BAS
|Next Week’s Scripture Readings:
Proverbs 8: 1-4, 22-31
Romans 5: 1-5
John 16: 12-15
10am Liturgy: BAS
Events This Week
- OUR LOCAL 7TH DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH IS HOSTING 10 FAMILIES, THEY NEED DONATIONS. THEY CAN GO DIRECTLY TO THEM (CORNER OF 50TH STREET & 106 AVENUE) diapers, baby wipes, toiletries, new underwear, socks, clothes for all ages, blankets & sheets, similar items are needed at the disaster relief center downtown.
- Thank you to all who brought food last Sunday!
- GREATER EDMONTON ALLIANCE (GEA) – Leadership for Public Life Institute – Mon. May 16, Tue. May 17 & Wed. May 18 – 6pm to 9pm at Southminster-Steinhauer United Church, 10740 – 19 Avenue. To register contact John Gee 780 439-7344. Deadline May 9.
- On May 29th – GLOBAL GATHERING Pot luck lunch following the 10:00 am service. We will share a joint service and potluck with Iglesia Menonita Manantial de Vida (Spanish Mennonite Church of the Living Water) who make use of our Annex building. If possible, please bring a heritage based dish (any heritage). NO desserts, this has already been provided. It will be a great chance to learn more about one another and share a meal together. Contact Camille 780 732-0230.
- Sunday, May 29 @ 7:00 pm Hope Lutheran Church – Enjoy an evening of Music – celebrate Spring with Lac Ste. Anne Community Choir and the Hope Lutheran Men’s Choir – Free Will donation.
- Tuesdays at Blues. Blues Java Bar – 50st & 106ave – makes space for our coffee and conversation the first and third weeks of the month at 10:00am. Next Meeting is May 24th.
- Men’s Group: Do you know that a men’s group meets 7pm Thursday nights at St. A’s in the lounge? Similar to an aboriginal talking circle, space is given for speaking what is on your mind.
- Maureen Campbell has moved to Shepard’s Care Kensington in North Edmonton. We are sad to loose such a friendly face from next door!
- NATIONAL ABORIGINAL DAY – SUNDAY, JUNE 19, 2016. The Anglican Church of Canada’s Primate, The Most Rev. Fred Hiltz has issued a “Call to Action #48 from Canada’s Truth & Reconciliation Commission”. A request that every Parish across Canada use this day as a public reading of the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, accompanied by appropriate prayers and ceremonies in keeping with Indigenous spiritual customs. More details to come.
- On June 12th we have been invited to share worship with Grace United Church. We will not have worship at St. A’s this day, but join them for church and for their summer picnic lunch to follow.
- Simple Supper– Please join us on Friday, May 27th @ 5:30 pm. Come along, bring a friend. Fundraiser for the G.A.N.G (see back page)
- Do you know about the work of Young Life in our community? They are hosting a dessert night and fundraiser at a local church. RSVP to learn more about this important ministry in our community here: Dessert Event
The church office is open Monday and Thursday mornings from 9:30 to 12:00. Any mail for the office? Please drop it in the office mailbox (in the other building), or in the ‘Admin’ mailbox downstairs. There is also a form for cheque requisitions if you have receipts to submit for payment.
Wider Community Announcements
Anglican’s are busy across the diocese – see more events on the Diocesan “SYNOD SCENE” at www.edmonton.anglican.org . You can get it by email too!
- YOUTH TAIZE PILGRIMAGE IN FRANCE – July 22 – August 01, 2016 – Young Adults between 18 & 29 who may be interested are invited to apply. THIS IS A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME. See notice board downstairs. Info sessions this month. Openings still available.
- HABITAT for HUMANITY – 5th Annual Interfaith Build – July 07 to August 25, 2016 – Anyone interested? Please talk to Gail Gravelines.
- ASCENSION HOUSE & ST. AIDAN’S HOUSE -currently recruiting new residents for the 2016-17 term (Beginning September 01, 2016) Nice place to live at a pretty fair price. Age group 18 – 25. Ascension House House is within close proximity of MacEwan Campus and St. Aidan’s is just steps away from u of a campus.
- BASE CAMP – TEENS 12 TO 15 – SIR wINSTON cHURCHILL provincial pARK –star wars theme camp – august 6 – 12 – see notice board
- may 20/21 – long weekend – St. Patrick’s – weekend indoor yard sale.
- MAY 25 –7:30 pm – the men behind the music: an evening in paris @ St. Patrick’s. $20.00 pp through TICKETWEB.CA.
- Clayton Ernst is our parish representative on the garden committee.
- Year II has begun! It is so great to have such a positive relationship with this neighborhood group – the garden is such a great place to meet local neighbors and support this initiative.
- FULTON PLACE GARDEN TOUR – Tuesday, June 21 & Wednesday, June 22 from 4:30 to 8:00 pm. Adults 10, Seniors $8, children free. Tickets – contact Sheila 780 468-9218.
THROUGH THE WEEK at St. A’s:
Music Together – Kid’s music program. Most Wednesdays and Thursdays mornings at the church. www.musictogethernl.com
Sound Opportunity – Wednesday evenings at 7 pm www.sing4me.ca
Gentle Hatha Yoga – Tuesday mornings at 9:30 am. ($16 each for 18 classes)
Education for Ministry (EFM) – 4-year theology course. Talk to June Miller – 780 447-2593 for more info.
Geo Bar – See Justina at work in our kitchen and at local markets.
GANG – Grandmothers of Alberta for a New Generation (GANG) works with the Stephen Lewis Foundation to support African grandmothers raising their grandchildren as a result of AIDS. An awareness, advocacy and fundraising group.
GEA-Greater Edmonton Alliance – organization of Faith Groups, Unions, Community Action Groups and Small Businesses ‘organizing for the common good’ to give the public a voice in decision making that affects their lives.
The McElhatton School of Irish Dance – Monday and Wednesday night
Men’s Council – Thursday nights at 7pm led by Ian Portious.