TRC Sunday National Aboriginal Day of Prayer, June 19, 2016
Don’t forget to bring a stone if you can! (see below)
Welcome to St. Augustine’s.
Find out more about who we are in the pew brochure or online at www.staugustinesedmonton.com
Printable announcements here: June 19, 2016
8:00am said Anglican Eucharist
10:00am – Our main service of Worship which changes with the Church seasons and always includes Holy Communion and kid’s time.
***FIRST 9:30am summer service July 3rd
|This Week’s Scripture Readings:
Fifth Sunday after Pentecost
Isaiah 40; 25 – 31
Philippians 4: 4 – 9
John 1: 1 – 18
10a Liturgy: Contemplative/aboriginal
|Next Week’s Scripture Readings:
Sixth Sunday after Pentecost
2 Kings 2; 1-2, 6-14
Psalm 77: 1-2, 11-20
Galatians 5; 1, 13-25
Luke 9: 51-62
10am Liturgy: BAS
Events This Week
- Please bring a fist-sized stone (if you can, bring an extra for those who can’t) for NATIONAL ABORIGINAL DAY – SUNDAY, JUNE 19, 2016. THE STONES ARE FOR USE IN OUR WORSHIP. They will be used and left as a way to mark space around our chokecherry tree.
- The Anglican Church of Canada’s Primate, The Most Rev. Fred Hiltz has issued a “Call to Action #48 from Canada’s Truth & Reconciliation Commission”. A request that every Parish across Canada use this day as a public reading of the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, accompanied by appropriate prayers and ceremonies in keeping with Indigenous spiritual customs. More details to come.
- Belles– Watch for next event to be announced soon.
- Tuesdays at Blues Java Bar – 50 Street & 106 Avenue. Coffee and conversation on the first and third weeks of the month at 10 am. Next meeting is June 21st.
- SIMPLE SUPPER – Please join us on Friday, June 24th @ 5:30 pm. Come and bring a friend. Fundraiser for the G. A. N.G. (See back page).
- CHURCH LIBRARY – Thanks to those who have made donations. Books have been sorted and put in the library. Duplicate copies and others that we do not have a place for are set out n the table downstairs. Please take a look and take home any of interest – ALSO CHECK OUT WHAT IS IN THE LIBRARY TO BORROW. There are lots of good reads!
- A reminder to book any space you need at the church through the church office so it can be checked against the master calendar.
- Edmonton Emergency Relief Services – still receiving donations for evacuees- NEW items only – 3870 – 98 Street – 780 428-4422.
- ENCOUNTERS – watch for start-up date in September 2016.
- EDUCATION FOR MINISTRY (EFM) – See notice board downstairs.
- L’ARCHE COMMUNITY – Friday June 24 @ 5 pm Fulton School Field Backyard party -Adults $12/Children $6 – Call Maria 780 465-0618 ext. 206. Also July 07 – Melting Pot fondue restaurant – fundraiser – see notice board for details.
- 101 AVENUE VISION & CORRIDOR STUDY – 50 STREET TO 79 STREET, City of Edmonton – Tuesday, June 21 @ Forest Heights School large Gymnasium 10304 – 81 Street – Drop-in between 5 & 8:30 pm. Childcare will be available. edmonton.ca/101AvenueCorridorStudy
- SUMMER HOURS @ ST. AUGUSTINES – AS OF JULY 03 – ONE SERVICE @ 09:30 AM.
The church office is open Monday and Thursday mornings from 9:30 to 12:00. Any mail for the office? Please drop it in the office mailbox (in the other building), or in the ‘Admin’ mailbox downstairs. There is also a form for cheque requisitions if you have receipts to submit for payment.
Anglican Diocese Announcements
Anglican’s are busy across the diocese – see more events on the Diocesan “SYNOD SCENE” at www.edmonton.anglican.org . You can get it by email too!
- PILGRIMAGE IN FRANCE – July 22 – August 01, 2016 – Young Adults between 18 & 29 who may be interested are invited to apply. THIS IS A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME. See notice board downstairs. Info sessions this month. Openings still available.
- HABITAT for HUMANITY – 5th Annual Interfaith Build – July 07 to August 25, 2016 –HELP STILL NEEDED.
- ASCENSION HOUSE & ST. AIDAN’S HOUSE -currently recruiting new residents for the 2016-17 term (Beginning September 01, 2016) Nice place to live at a pretty fair price. Age group 18 – 25. Ascension House is within close proximity of MacEwan Campus and St. Aidan’s is just steps away from U of A campus.
- BASE CAMP – TEENS 12 TO 15 ––Star Wars theme camp – August 6 – 12 – Looking for good leaders, counsellors and lifeguards – see notice board.
- FORT McMURRAY RESPONSE – Spare rooms/beds available to accommodate evacuees – Email – email@example.com
- PLEASE CONTINUE TO PRAY FOR ALL THOSE AFFECTED BY THE FORT McMURRAY AND AREA FIRES. PRAY AND CONTINUE TO LET THEM KNOW THAT THEY ARE LOVED AND SUPPORTED.
- IONA PILGRIMAGE – AUGUST 27 – SEPT. 01, 2016 – space for one more has become available – Sheila Hagan-Bloxham to lead this event to Scotland. If interested, call Sheila – 780-436-0171.
- Clayton Ernst is our parish representative on the garden committee.
- Year II has begun! The garden is such a great place to meet local neighbors and support this initiative.
- FULTON PLACE GARDEN TOUR – Tuesday, June 21 & Wednesday, June 22 from 4:30 to 8:00 pm. Adults $10, Seniors $8, children free. Tickets – contact Sheila 780 468-9218.
THROUGH THE WEEK at St. A’s:
Music Together – Kid’s music program. Most Wednesdays and Thursdays mornings at the church. www.musictogethernl.com
Sound Opportunity – Wednesday evenings at 7 pm www.sing4me.ca
Gentle Hatha Yoga – Tuesday mornings at 9:30 am. ($16 each for 18 classes)
Education for Ministry (EFM) – 4-year theology course. Talk to June Miller – 780 447-2593 for more info.
Geo Bar – See Justina at work in our kitchen and at local markets.
GANG – Grandmothers of Alberta for a New Generation (GANG) works with the Stephen Lewis Foundation to support African grandmothers raising their grandchildren as a result of AIDS. An awareness, advocacy and fundraising group.
GEA-Greater Edmonton Alliance – organization of Faith Groups, Unions, Community Action Groups and Small Businesses ‘organizing for the common good’ to give the public a voice in decision making that affects their lives.
The McElhatton School of Irish Dance – Monday and Wednesday nights
MEN’S COUNCIL – Thursday nights at 7pm led by Ian Portious.