We mark this week the early days of Jesus as his Jewish family began to raise him in that tradition and name him the name which means “God-saves”
holy name of jesus – january 1, 2017
Welcome to St. Augustine’s.
Find out more about who we are in the pew brochure or online at www.staugustinesedmonton.com
Printable: Jan 1 2017
(8:00AM – SAID ANGLICAN EUCHARIST) – No 8am this Jan 1
10:00AM – OUR MAIN SERVICE OF WORSHIP WHICH CHANGES WITH THE CHURCH SEASONS AND ALWAYS INCLUDES HOLY COMMUNION AND KID’S TIME.
|This Week’s Scripture Readings:
Holy Name of Jesus – Jan. 01, 2017
Numbers 6: 22-27
Galatians 4: 4 – 7
Luke 2: 15-21
10:00 am Liturgy BAS
|Next Week’s Scripture Readings:
Baptism of the Lord – Jan 08, 2017
Isaiah 42: 1 – 9
Acts 10: 34 – 43
Matthew 3: 13 – 17
10:00 am Liturgy BAS
Events This Week
- CENTERING PRAYER – Augustine’s – Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays mornings each week at 08:45 am.
- 2017 CHURCH CALENDARS FOR SALE $5.00 – see Eileen Fairbrother.
- ENCOUNTERS – A Sunday morning study group @ 8:15am. Encounters will resume on Sunday, January 8th. Subject not confirmed – possible video. A new program will begin on January 15th with Val McCormack.
- TUESDAYS AT BLUES JAVA BAR (50 STREET & 106 AVENUE) – Coffee and conversation on the first and third Tuesdays of the month at 10 am. Come and join us for stimulating conversation on various topics of choice. Next meeting Tuesday, January 03.
- BELLES – Mark your calendar for Tuesday, January 10th – more details to follow.
- SIMPLE SUPPER – Friday, January 27th – doors open at 5:00, Supper served at 5:30. Please join us and bring a friend. Good food and companionship. Groups of ten (10) or more, please make a reservation – Lauretta 780 466-9510. Thank you.
- IGNATIAN SPIRITUAL EXERCISES you may begin this incredible process of prayer individually with Pat Jameson directing. Consider this if you are seeking greater depth in your prayers and sense of God’s love. Talk to Pat or Rev. Jonathan for more info.
- WORLD DAY OF PRAYER – MARCH 2017 – First meeting on Monday, January 9 @ 1:30pm at St. Luke’s 8424 – 95 Avenue. Anyone interested please advise June Greig.
- NO ROOM AT THE INN – This Christmas season “A Safe Place” has been chosen. It is a shelter for women and their children fleeing abuse. Please make cheques payable to the Church or send directly to: Strathcona Shelter Society Ltd. – enter “No Room in the Inn” in the memo line – Thank you.
- A reminder to book any space you need at the church through the church office so it can be checked against the master calendar.
The church office is open Monday mornings from 9:30 to 11:30 and Thursday mornings from 9:30 to 12:00. Any mail for the office? Please drop it in the office mailbox (in the other building), or in the ‘Admin’ mailbox downstairs. There is also a form for cheque requisitions if you have receipts to submit for payment.
WISHING YOU A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR IN 2017
Anglican Diocese Announcements
Anglican’s are busy across the diocese – see more events on the Diocesan “SYNOD SCENE” at www.edmonton.anglican.org . You can get it by email too! – MORE information on notice board downstairs.
- GIVE THE GIFT OF LIFE THIS ADVENT – if you are able. The DIOCESE OF EDMONTON – TIME IS RUNNING OUT TO GIVE BLOOD – register online at blood.ca/joinpartnersforlife and enter Partner ID code ANGL696986 or call 1 888 236-6283 to Book or to speak to a Nurse (if you have any eligibility questions. As of Dec. 13, we have donated 71 Units – please help us to reach our goal. The Diocese hopes to reach its goal by December 31. VERY CRITICAL. Thank you. ONLY A COUPLE OF DAYS LEFT TO DONATE TO COMPLETE THE DIOCIASN GOAL.
- BLANKET DRIVE – Edmonton emergency Relief Services Society – in need of blankets & winter clothing to help stock the warm-up vans & to give directly to the homeless as the Cold Arctic air settles in. Please bring to Church or any drop off locations in Synod
Scene on notice board.
- SOCIAL JUSTICE – If this is of interest to you – you are invited to join the Diocesan Social Justice Committee at All Saints Cathedral, 10035 – 103 Street in January, February or March for meetings on various subjects – see subject details on the notice board down stairs or the Synod Scene. email@example.com
- HABITAT FOR HUMANITY – Volunteers needed on construction sites for Pre-fab shops – February 23 to April 27, 2017. Watch for information to come on Carter Place 2017 – Former US President Jimmy Carter & Rosalynn Carter will be in Edmonton in July. 150 homes will be built in Canada to mark our country’s 150th birthday – 75 of these in Edmonton area – site requires 30 volunteers per day. Register as a volunteer and sign up for shifts on the website.
Clayton Ernst is our parish representative on the garden committee.
THROUGH THE WEEK AT. A’s:
Music Together – Kid’s music program. Most Monday and Thursday mornings at the church. www.musictogethernl.com
Sound Opportunity – Wednesday evenings at 7 pm www.sing4me.ca
Gentle Hatha Yoga – Tuesday mornings at 9:30 am. ($16 each for 18 classes)
Education for Ministry (EFM) – 4-year theology course. Contact June Miller – 780 447-2593 for more info.
GANG – Grandmothers of Alberta for a New Generation (GANG) works with the Stephen Lewis Foundation to support African grandmothers raising their grandchildren because of AIDS. An awareness, advocacy and fundraising group.
GEA-Greater Edmonton Alliance – organization of Faith Groups, Unions, Community Action Groups and Small Businesses ‘organizing for the common good’ to give the public a voice in decision making that affects their lives.