second sunday after epiphany – JANUARY 15, 2017
Sunday morning note: As a way to explore more flexible engagements with scripture on Sunday morning, we will be using only the Gospel reading during the season of Epiphany. Sometimes we need to read broadly, sometimes we need to go deeper into one thing. May we be alert as we delve into the teaching life of Jesus together
Welcome to St. Augustine’s.
Find out more about who we are in the pew brochure or online at www.staugustinesedmonton.com
See some photos of last week’s Baptism on our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/staugustinesedmonton/
Printable announcements sheet here: Jan 15, 2017
8:00AM – SAID ANGLICAN EUCHARIST
10:00AM – OUR MAIN SERVICE OF WORSHIP WHICH CHANGES WITH THE CHURCH SEASONS AND ALWAYS INCLUDES HOLY COMMUNION AND KID’S TIME.
|This Week’s Scripture Readings:
Second Sunday after the Epiphany
John 1: 29 – 42
10:00 am Contemplative EPIPHANY
|Next Week’s Scripture Readings:
Third Sunday after the Epiphany
Matthew 4: 12 – 23
10:00 am Contemplative EPIPHANY
Please remember in your prayers this week:
For the sick or in hospital – Rev. Glen Bresee, Betty Wade, Jenny Nunes, Lise, Fran, Joey, Melisa, Edna Tyler, Rachel, Inga.
In mourning – Lauretta Howard & family in the loss of Mitchell Howard.
EVENTS THIS WEEK
- FEEDING THE BISSELL CENTRE – SUNDAY – JANUARY 22 – FOOD NEEDED FOR OUR COMMITMENT – SANDWICHES ETC. MAY BE DROPPED OFF ON SATURDAY, JANUARY 21 AT CHURCH BETWEEN 2 AND 5 PM. IF YOU CAN HELP WITH SANDWICHES, VEGGES, FRUIT OR DESSERTS, PLEASE CALL JUNE GREIG 780 469-0733.
- CENTERING PRAYER – Augustine’s – Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays mornings each week at 08:45 am.
- 2017 CHURCH CALENDARS FOR SALE $5.00 – see Eileen Fairbrother.
- ENCOUNTERS – A Sunday morning study group @ 8:15am. A new program will begin on January 15th with Val McCormack.
- TUESDAYS AT BLUES JAVA BAR (50 STREET & 106 AVENUE) – Coffee and conversation on the first and third Tuesdays of the month at 10 am. Come and join us for stimulating conversation on various topics of choice. Next meeting Tuesday, January 17.
- BELLES – More events to come.
- SERVER’S TRAINING – Saturday, Jan 21 @ 10 am @ St. A’s. Talk to Rev. J Crane to rsvp.
- SIMPLE SUPPER – Friday, January 27th – doors open at 5:00, Supper served at 5:30. Please join us and bring a friend. Good food and companionship. Groups of ten (10) or more, please make a reservation at the church office. Thank you.
- IGNATIAN SPIRITUAL EXERCISES you may begin this incredible process of prayer individually with Pat Jameson directing. Consider this if you are seeking greater depth in your prayers and sense of God’s love. Talk to Pat or Rev. Jonathan for more info.
- WORLD DAY OF PRAYER – MARCH 2017 – Friday, March 03, 2017 at 7:00 PM – St. Luke’s Church, 8424 – 95 Avenue. Everyone welcome.
- Clergy Retreat – January 31 to February 02 @ Star of the North Retreat Centre, St. Albert.
- A reminder to book any space you need at the church through the church office so it can be checked against the master calendar.
The church office is open Monday mornings from 9:30 to 11:30 and Thursday mornings from 9:30 to 12:00. Any mail for the office? Please drop it in the office mailbox (in the other building), or in the ‘Admin’ mailbox downstairs. There is also a form for cheque requisitions if you have receipts to submit for payment.
Anglican Diocese Announcements
Anglican’s are busy across the diocese – see more events on the Diocesan “SYNOD SCENE” at www.edmonton.anglican.org . You can get it by email too! – MORE information on notice board downstairs.
- JAYLENE JOHNSON – SAT. JANURY 28 – FREE CONCERT – 7:00 PM TRINITY CHRISTIAN REFORMED CHURCH 13427 – 57 STREET
- GIVE THE GIFT OF LIFE THIS ADVENT – The DIOCESE OF EDMONTON Final numbers for 2016 – 85. A big thank you to all who have donated. CAMPAIGN 2017 – starting fresh with a new goal of 100 units – call 1 888 236-6283 for an appointment – Please give Partner ID: ANGL 696986 to ensure the Diocese receives the credit.
- BLANKET DRIVE – STILL NEEDED – Edmonton emergency Relief Services Society – in need of blankets & winter clothing to help stock the warm-up vans & to give directly to the homeless as the Cold Arctic air settles in. Please bring to Church or any drop off locations in Synod Scene on notice board down stairs.
- WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE’S HENRY V: January 12 to 28 @ Holy Trinity Anglican Church – Evening & Matinee performances – $25/General & $20/ Seniors/Students – See Synod Scene & Notice Board.
- SOCIAL JUSTICE – If this is of interest to you – you are invited to join the Diocesan Social Justice Committee at All Saints Cathedral, 10035 – 103 Street in January, February or March for meetings on various subjects – email@example.com
- HABITAT FOR HUMANITY – Volunteers needed on construction sites for Pre-fab shops – February 23 to April 27, 2017. Watch for information to come on Carter Place 2017 – Former US President Jim & Rosalynn Carter in Edmonton in July. 150 homes to be built in Canada marking our 150th birthday – 75 in Edm area – requires 30 volunteers per day. Register – sign up for shifts on the website.
- CAPILANO PLAYSCHOOL – New classes – Mon/Wed/Fri. 3 -4 year olds -Healthy Apple program plus other programs for K-9 Students – Trial Class – Wednesday, January 25th – 6:30 pm to 7:00 pm followed by an Open house – space limited – call 780 802-9307 or email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- BEYOND THE DIOCESE – Did you know – January is the month that has the Highest rate if couples seeking marriage help? Two programs that can make a difference: – Retrouvaille – Program starts March 17 to 19 – contact 587 598-4357 or email@example.com Second program is Marriage Encounter – program June 4 to 7, 2017 – contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 780 464-2874.
Clayton Ernst is our parish representative on the garden committee.
THROUGH THE WEEK AT. A’s:
Music Together – Kid’s music program. Most Monday and Thursday mornings at the church. www.musictogethernl.com
Sound Opportunity – Wednesday evenings at 7 pm www.sing4me.ca
Gentle Hatha Yoga – Tuesday mornings at 9:30 am. ($16 each for 18 classes)
Education for Ministry (EFM) – 4-year theology course. Contact June Miller – 780 447-2593 for more info.
GANG – Grandmothers of Alberta for a New Generation (GANG) works with the Stephen Lewis Foundation to support African grandmothers raising their grandchildren because of AIDS. An awareness, advocacy and fundraising group.
GEA-Greater Edmonton Alliance – organization of Faith Groups, Unions, Community Action Groups and Small Businesses ‘organizing for the common good’ to give the public a voice in decision making that affects their lives.
Connect with us online!
- Facebook: facebook.com/staugustinesedmonton
2) Website: sign up for immediate blog and event updates www.stugustinesedmonton.com on the BLOG page.
|St. Augustine of Canterbury Church
In the Anglican Diocese of Edmonton
The Reverend Jonathan Crane, Rector
Joyce Taylor, People’s Warden
Gail Gravelines, Rector’s Warden
Office: 780-466-5532, Basement/Fax: 780-468-2771
Web Address: www.staugustinesedmonton.com