A reminder that we gather to celebrate the life of Mitch Howard, past music director of this parish and son of Lauretta Howard tomorrow February 4th at 2pm at St. Augustine’s Church.
We also mourn with Shaina, Faith, and Tristan the loss of Shari. Please bring any cards for them this Sunday as they are hosting a small gathering Sunday afternoon where the cards can be passed on.
Printable copy of Announcements: Feb. 5, 2017
Fifth sunday after epiphany – february 5, 2017
Welcome to St. Augustine’s.
Find out more about who we are in the pew brochure or online at www.staugustinesedmonton.com
8:00AM – SAID ANGLICAN EUCHARIST
10:00AM – OUR MAIN SERVICE OF WORSHIP WHICH CHANGES WITH THE CHURCH SEASONS AND ALWAYS INCLUDES HOLY COMMUNION AND KID’S TIME.
|This Week’s Scripture Readings:
Fifth Sunday after the Epiphany
Matthew 5: 13 – 20
10:00 am Contemplative EPIPHANY
|Next Week’s Scripture Readings:
Sixth Sunday after the Epiphany
Matthew 5: 21 – 37
10:00 am Contemplative EPIPHANY
Please remember in your prayers this week:
For the sick or in hospital – Rev. Glen Bresee, Betty Wade, Jenny Nunes, Edna Tyler, Vera Morris
In mourning – Lauretta Howard & family in the loss of Mitchell Howard – MEMORIAL SERVICE – SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 04 @ 2:00 PM.
-In Mourning – Family of Verna Wilson, long time parishioner.
-In Mourning – Shaina Rose, Faith & Tristan in recent loss of Shari Jones, Mother and Grandmother.
EVENTS THIS WEEK:
CENTERING PRAYER – St. Augustine’s – Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays mornings each week at 08:45 am.
- AGM – ST. AUGUSTINE’S – SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 05, FOLLOWING THE 10 AM SERVICE.
- 2017 CHURCH CALENDARS FOR SALE $5.00 – see Eileen Fairbrother.
- ENCOUNTERS – A Sunday morning study group @ 8:15am. Encounters with Val McCormack. Everyone welcome.
- TUESDAYS AT BLUES JAVA BAR (50 STREET & 106 AVENUE) – Coffee and conversation on the first and third Tuesdays of the month at 10 am. Come and join us for stimulating conversation on various topics of choice. Next meeting Tuesday, February 7.
- BELLES – FEBRUARY 14TH TUESDAY: LUNCH AT THE ANTIQUE MALL Meet at the church at 11 am to car pool. Betty from the Mall will be very glad to have us visit the Mall- We just need to let her know our numbers. Please let Eileen know if you plan to be there. Lunch menu is simple but good. (Soup, sandwiches, nice desserts) Address: 10323 78Ave. Contact person: Eileen Fairbrother
- SENIOR YOUTHFUL GROUP 2017 – Valentine’s tea AT Grace United at 1:30 to 3 :00 pm – Please RSVP by Fri. Feb 10th to 780 466-0916. Everyone welcome.
- SIMPLE SUPPER – Friday, February 24th – doors open at 5:00, Supper served at 5:30. Please join us and bring a friend. Good food and companionship. Groups of ten (10) or more, please make a reservation at the church office. Thank you.
- SHROVE TUESDAY – PANCAKES – TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 28 – 5-7 PM
- IGNATIAN SPIRITUAL EXERCISES -You may begin this incredible process of prayer individually with Pat Jameson directing. Consider this if you are seeking greater depth in your prayers and sense of God’s love. Talk to Pat or Rev. Jonathan for more info.
- WORLD DAY OF PRAYER – Friday, March 03, 2017 at 7:00 PM – St. Luke’s Church, 8424 – 95 Avenue. Everyone welcome.
- A reminder to book any space you need at the church through the church office so it can be checked against the master calendar.
The church office is open Monday mornings from 9:30 to 11:30 and Thursday mornings from 9:30 to 12:00. Any mail for the office? Please drop it in the office mailbox (in the other building), or in the ‘Admin’ mailbox downstairs. There is also a form for cheque requisitions if you have receipts to submit for payment.
Anglican Diocese Announcements
Anglican’s are busy across the diocese – see more events on the Diocesan “SYNOD SCENE” at www.edmonton.anglican.org . You can get it by email too! – MORE information on notice board downstairs.
- GIVE THE GIFT OF LIFE – The DIOCESE OF EDMONTON CAMPAIGN 2017 – a new goal of 100 units – call 1 888 236-6283 for an appointment – Please give Partner ID: ANGL 696986 .
- BLANKET DRIVE – STILL NEEDED – Edmonton emergency Relief Services Society – in need of blankets & winter clothing to help stock the warm-up vans & to give directly to the homeless as the Cold Arctic air settles in. Please bring to Church or any drop off locations in Synod Scene on notice board down stairs.
- SOCIAL JUSTICE – If this is of interest to you – you are invited to join the Diocesan Social Justice Committee at All Saints Cathedral, 10035 – 103 Street in January, February or March for meetings on various subjects – firstname.lastname@example.org
- HABITAT FOR HUMANITY – Volunteers needed on construction sites for Pre-fab shops – February 23 to April 27, 2017. Watch for information to come on Carter Place 2017 – Former US President Jim & Rosalynn Carter in Edmonton in July. 150 homes to be built in Canada marking our 150th birthday – 75 in Edmonton area – requires 30 volunteers per day. Register – sign up for shifts on the website.
- YOUTH – FULL-MOON WINTER ADVENTURE CAMP – MARCH 10 – 12 It’s a FULL MOON weekend of winter sports, bonfire’s, indoor games, crafts, music, worship and great food. Daniels’s farm (approx. 40 minutes west of Edmonton near Onoway). Cost $50.00 – Must register by February 25th to email@example.com.
- END POVERTY – EDMONTON (EPE) AND DIOCESE OF EDMONTON – THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 09 – to launch a separate entity to oversee a Five-Year Road Map aimed at the elimination of poverty in Edmonton. More details in the February issue of The Messenger.
Clayton Ernst is our parish representative on the garden committee.
THROUGH THE WEEK AT. A’s:
Music Together – Kid’s music program. Most Monday and Thursday mornings at the church. www.musictogethernl.com
Sound Opportunity – Wednesday evenings at 7 pm www.sing4me.ca
Gentle Hatha Yoga – Tuesday mornings at 9:30 am. ($16 each for 18 classes)
Education for Ministry (EFM) – 4-year theology course. Contact June Miller – 780 447-2593 for more info.
GANG – Grandmothers of Alberta for a New Generation (GANG) works with the Stephen Lewis Foundation to support African grandmothers raising their grandchildren because of AIDS. An awareness, advocacy and fundraising group.
GEA-Greater Edmonton Alliance – organization of Faith Groups, Unions, Community Action Groups and Small Businesses ‘organizing for the common good’ to give the public a voice in decision making that affects their lives.