1st Sunday of advent November 27, 2016
Welcome to St. Augustine’s.
Looking for Advent schedules and details? Please click here: http://staugustinesedmonton.com/advent-christmas-2016-weekly-announcements/
Printable announcements here: nov-27-2016
***A reminder that vestry is asking that all stewardship forms be in this weekend for November 27th. Thank you.
8:00AM – SAID ANGLICAN EUCHARIST
10:00AM – OUR MAIN SERVICE OF WORSHIP WHICH CHANGES WITH THE CHURCH SEASONS AND ALWAYS INCLUDES HOLY COMMUNION AND KID’S TIME.
|This Week’s Scripture Readings:
First Sunday of Advent
10:00 am Liturgy: BAS
|Next Week’s Scripture Readings:
Second Sunday of Advent
Psalm 72:1-7, 18-19
10:00 am Liturgy: BAS
Events This Week
- CENTERING PRAYER – Augustine’s – Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays mornings each week at 08:45 am.
- 2017 CHURCH CALENDARS FOR SALE $5.00 – see Eileen Fairbrother.
- ENCOUNTERS – A Sunday morning study group @ 8:00am. Using John Donahue’s “Hearing the word of God”, reflections on the Sunday Readings from now until the beginning of Advent, November 27th. Everyone welcome.
- MONDAY, NOVEMBER 28 – WINSPEAR CENTE – UofA & Kings College Present Festival of Nine Lessons & Carols for Advent & Christmas – General admission – $16.00 plus service charge – call Winspear for tickets 780 428-1414.
- TUESDAYS AT BLUES JAVA BAR (50 STREET & 106 AVENUE) – Coffee and conversation on the first and third weeks of the month at 10 am. Come and join us for stimulating conversation on various topics of choice. Next meeting on Tuesday, December 6th.
- BELLES – watch for updates
- ELSIE GIBSON – Memorial Service SATURDAY, DEC 17 @ 2:00 pm – Good Shepherd Anglican Church. 15495 Castle Downs Road. Elsie was a long-time member of St. A’s and a member of our Choir. If you require a ride, please call Pat Jameson 780 469-0704 or 780 995-2446.
- SIMPLE SUPPER – Friday, January 27th – doors open at 5:00, Supper served at 5:30. Please join us and bring a friend. Good food and companionship. Groups of ten (10) or more, please make a reservation – Lauretta 780 466-9510. Thank you.
- IGNATIAN SPIRITUAL EXERCISES you may begin this incredible process of prayer individually with Pat Jameson directing. Consider this if you are seeking greater depth in your prayers and sense of God’s love. Talk to Pat or Rev. Jonathan for more info.
- THIRD ANNUAL FREE COMMUNITY CHRISTMAS DINNER – SATURDAY, DECEMBER 10 @ HARDISTY JUNIOR HIGH 5:00 PM – tickets available – Grace United Church at- 466-0916. Sponsored by Seven Area Faith organizations.
- NO ROOM AT THE INN – This Christmas season “A Safe Place” has been chosen. It is a shelter for women and their children fleeing abuse. Brochures will be available.
- A reminder to book any space you need at the church through the church office so it can be checked against the master calendar.
The church office is open Monday mornings from 9:30 to 11:30 and Thursday mornings from 9:30 to 12:00. Any mail for the office? Please drop it in the office mailbox (in the other building), or in the ‘Admin’ mailbox downstairs. There is also a form for cheque requisitions if you have receipts to submit for payment.
Anglican Diocese Announcements
Anglican’s are busy across the diocese – see more events on the Diocesan “SYNOD SCENE” at www.edmonton.anglican.org . You can get it by email too! – MORE information on notice board downstairs.
- ALL SAINTS’ CATHEDERAL Choir and Music – Sunday, November 27 @ 7:00 pm. Director, Jeremy Spurgeon – reception following the service – mince pies, mulled wine and hot chocolate.
- GOOD SHEPHERD – Castledowns Road – Saturday, December 3 @ 10 am to 3 pm. – Annual Christmas lunch and bake sale. Cost $5.00 – oodles of awesome Christmas gifts and baking for sale.
- DAVID’S – Wednesday, December 7th at 7:00 pm – A Carol Sing – 79 Avenue & 85 Street – All are welcome Apple cider, hot chocolate & mince tarts will be provided.
- DIOCESE OF EDMONTON – TIME TO GIVE BLOOD –register online at blood.ca/joinpartnersforlife and enter Partner ID code ANGL696986 or call 1 888 236-6283 to Book or to speak to a Nurse (if you have any eligibility questions. As of Nov. 22, we have donated 68 Units – please help us to reach our goal. The Diocese hopes to reach its goal by December 31. VERY CRITICAL. Thank you.
- CITY NATIVITY TRADITION COULD BE ENDING – City intends to cancel the longstanding Christmas tradition of setting up a nativity scene outside City Hall. Archbishop Smith has sent a letter to Mayor Iveson to reconsider. Since decorations will go up on November 25th – we have little time to send letters – please email to Rita Strauss at email@example.com who will send you a copy and follow up.
- Clayton Ernst is our parish representative on the garden committee.
THROUGH THE WEEK AT. A’s:
Music Together – Kid’s music program. Most Monday and Thursday mornings at the church. www.musictogethernl.com
Sound Opportunity – Wednesday evenings at 7 pm www.sing4me.ca
Gentle Hatha Yoga – Tuesday mornings at 9:30 am. ($16 each for 18 classes)
Education for Ministry (EFM) – 4-year theology course. Contact June Miller – 780 447-2593 for more info.
GANG – Grandmothers of Alberta for a New Generation (GANG) works with the Stephen Lewis Foundation to support African grandmothers raising their grandchildren as a result of AIDS. An awareness, advocacy and fundraising group.
GEA-Greater Edmonton Alliance – organization of Faith Groups, Unions, Community Action Groups and Small Businesses ‘organizing for the common good’ to give the public a voice in decision making that affects their lives.
(The MEN’S COUNCIL Has moved to Star of the North Retreat cntr.)