Welcome to St. Augustine’s.
Find out more about who we are in the pew brochure or online at www.staugustinesedmonton.com
Printable announcements here: August 21, 2016
-Josie Campbell has moved to Garneau Hall. Contact info from the Office.
-Great news that Jenny Nunes’ cancer was fully removed by surgery! We give thanks for this and pray as she enters further preventative treatment.
-Please hold in your hearts and prayers our Murial Love – a long term member and lay reader at st. A’s – who was rushed to hospital this week following an internal rupture. The medical outlook is not good for her and chances of recovery minimal. However, we pray in faith and I invite you to hold her and the Love family in deep prayer this week.
May the Lord in his love and mercy uphold her by the grace and power of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
Fourteenth Sunday after pentecost
9:30 (one service for the summer) Our main service of Worship which changes with the Church seasons and always includes Holy Communion and kid’s time.
|This Week’s Scripture Readings:
Fourteenth Sunday after Pentecost
9:30 am Liturgy: BAS
|Next Week’s Scripture Readings:
Fifteenth Sunday after Pentecost
Hebrews 13:1-8, 15-16
Luke 14:1, 7-14
9:30 am Liturgy: BAS
Events This Week
- SUMMER HOURS – ONE SERVICE @ 09:30 AM.
- BELLES, ENCOUNTERS, SIMPLE SUPPER AND TUESDAYS AT BLUES JAVA BAR (50 STREET & 106 AVENUE) – watch for start-up times at the end of August.
- BUILDING A BRIGHTER 101 AVENUE – THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 29 AT Forest Heights School – 10304 – 81 Street. Drop in anytime from 5 to 8 pm. City of Edmonton Kirstin Pachero 101AvenuecorridorStudy@Edmonton.ca – See notice board.
- IN SEARCH OF ENGLISH TUTORS
There are two Liberian families who arrived in Canada one year ago who live in this neighborhood. They have made great progress in the one year they have been here but they still have a lot to learn in terms of learning to read and write in English. If you would be willing to volunteer for 1 hour a week with helping a newcomer learn English, please contact Jenny at 780-435-6328.
- CHURCH IN THE PARK & PARISH PICNIC – Sunday, September 4, 2016 @ 10:30 am in Gold Bar Park – Picnic site #1 – St. A’s and St. Luke’s combined for Morning Service followed by BBQ – social time – kid’s activities – races and prizes. – Bring your parents, kids & grand-kids – All are welcome. Come and join the fun.
- FORT McMURRAY, St. Thomas’ Anglican Church has invited the clergy & parishioners of St. Augustine’s to a service of Thanksgiving and Welcome Back in Fort McMurray on Saturday, September 10 at 10:00 am – to be followed by a BBQ lunch and social time. Anyone interested in attending, please speak to Rev. Crane. See notice board.
- GRACE UNITED – SENIOR’S YOUTHFUL GROUP – Wednesday, Sept 21 – 1:30 to 3 pm – Show and tell – Bring an object, pictures, etc. and tell us what you did over the summer. Gardening, touring, hobby?
- A reminder to book any space you need at the church through the church office so it can be checked against the master calendar.
The church office is open Monday mornings from 9:30 to 11:30 and Thursday mornings from 9:30 to 12:00. Any mail for the office? Please drop it in the office mailbox (in the other building), or in the ‘Admin’ mailbox downstairs. There is also a form for cheque requisitions if you have receipts to submit for payment.
Anglican Diocese Announcements
Anglican’s are busy across the diocese – see more events on the Diocesan “SYNOD SCENE” at www.edmonton.anglican.org . You can get it by email too!
- HABITAT for HUMANITY – 5th Annual Interfaith Build – July 07 to August 25, 2016 –HELP STILL NEEDED AS OF August 18.
- ASCENSION HOUSE & ST. AIDAN’S HOUSE -currently recruiting new residents for the 2016-17 term. Age group 18 – 25. PLEASE CALL JEN AT 780 439-7344. SPACE STILL AVAILABLE – AUGUST 18.
- PLEASE CONTINUE TO PRAY FOR ALL THOSE AFFECTED BY THE FORT McMURRAY AND AREA FIRES, AND THE RECENT FLOODING – PRAY
AND CONTINUE TO LET THEM KNOW THAT THEY ARE LOVED AND SUPPORTED.
- FRINGE FESTIVAL RETURNS TO HOLY TRINITY! August 11 to 21 – Holy Trinity Anglican will be hosting 9 wonderful play – ONLY A FEW DAYS LEFT. For details call 780 433-5530.
*****FRINGE – SPECIAL NOTE***** TRAIL & ERROR written by one of our Parishioners – Linda Wood-Edwards playing at the Strathcona Branch Library, Venue 3 – 8331 – 104 Street – ends on Aug 21 – matinee and evening times – DETAILS ON notice board.
- MESSY PICNIC @ THE FRINGE – SUNDAY, AUGUST 21– Holy Trinity Church 10037 – 84 Avenue – 2:30 pm – Family fun –FREE – NO RSVP – IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS – Contact: Rev Heather 780 433-5530.
- SUMMER CRITICAL TIME TO GIVE BLOOD – Diocese of Edmonton has pledged to give 100 units of blood in 2016 –42 units received as of August 15th. for your donation to count towards our goal, register online at blood.ca/joinpartnersforlife and enter Partner ID code ANGL696986 or call 1 888-236-6283 to book or to speak to a nurse if you have eligibility questions. VERY CRITICAl.
- OLIVER COMMUNITY BBQ – August 12 & 26 – 12116 – 102 Avenue – FREE BBQ’S – Looking for Volunteers to help – Do we have any Teens looking for something to do? Contact Rev. Nick @ email@example.com
- Clayton Ernst is our parish representative on the garden committee.
- Front yards in Bloom – we have been nominated for the 2016 Blooms Award. The awards presentation is Thursday, August 25 @ 7:00pm Shoctor Theatre – Admission Free.
THROUGH THE WEEK AT. A’s (continuing in the fall):
Music Together – Kid’s music program. Most Wednesdays and Thursdays mornings at the church. www.musictogethernl.com
Sound Opportunity – Wednesday evenings at 7 pm www.sing4me.ca
Gentle Hatha Yoga – Tuesday mornings at 9:30 am. ($16 each for 18 classes)
Education for Ministry (EFM) – 4-year theology course. Talk to June Miller – 780 447-2593 for more info.
Geo Bar – See Justina at work in our kitchen and at local markets.
GANG – Grandmothers of Alberta for a New Generation (GANG) works with the Stephen Lewis Foundation to support African grandmothers raising their grandchildren as a result of AIDS. An awareness, advocacy and fundraising group.
GEA-Greater Edmonton Alliance – organization of Faith Groups, Unions, Community Action Groups and Small Businesses ‘organizing for the common good’ to give the public a voice in decision making that affects their lives.
The McElhatton School of Irish Dance – Monday and Wednesday nights
MEN’S COUNCIL – Thursday nights at 7pm led by Ian Portious.