First SUNDAY after christmas day – dec. 31, 2017
Welcome to St. Augustine’s.
Find out more about who we are in the pew brochure or online at www.staugustinesedmonton.com
***Wishing you a happy, healthy and
prosperous New Year in 2018**
Printable version of these announcements: December 31, 2017
8:00AM – SAID ANGLICAN EUCHARIST
10:00AM – OUR MAIN SERVICE OF HOLY COMMUNION. NURSERY
AND KID’S ACTIVITIES.
|Sunday, December 31ST, 2017
First Sunday after Christmas. Dec. 31
Isaiah 61: 10 – 62:3
Galatians 4: 4 – 7
Luke 3: 22 – 40
10:00 am – BAS
|Next Week’s Scripture Readings:
Epiphany of the Lord – January 7, 2018
Isaiah 60: 1 – 6
Psalm 72: 1 – 7, 10 – 14
Ephesians 3: 1 – 12
Matthews 2: 1 – 12
10:00 am – BAS
Please remember in your prayers this week:
For the sick or in hospital – Herb, Justin, Allan, Michael Miller, Bill Miller
For those in mourning – Family of Marie Fairbrother, Family of Terry King.
St. A’s EVENTS THIS WEEK
- MORNING PRAYERS – Monday thru Friday – 08:45 am in the Chapel
Monday – Lectio Divina on upcoming Sunday Gospel reading
Tuesday – Holy Communion
Wed/Thu/Fri. – Simple Anglican Morning Prayer
You are welcome to drop in any days you like.
- ENCOUNTERS – A Sunday morning study group @ 8:15am in the lounge downstairs. Everyone welcome.
St. A’s EVENTS COMING UP
- TUESDAYS AT BLU’S JAVA BAR –Open discussion group– meets on the 1st and 3rd Tuesdays at 10:00 am at Blu’s Café at 50th Street & 106th Due to Blue’s being closed at this time, the meeting on January 2nd will be at McDonalds on 50th street South of 101 Avenue.
- THE BELLES – Tentative date of Tuesday, January 16, 2018 -please watch for further details.
- PASTORAL CARE – A new pastoral care group has been formed at the Church to be concerned with how we reach out to those who are homebound, sick or in need in our congregation. For more information speak to Rev. Crane or Phyllis Molineux.
- AGM – SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 11, 2018 – Capital Spending Next Year – as part of our budget process for next year, vestry would like to make a priority list and plan for building maintenance upgrades and initiatives that would draw from our capital-designated reserves. If you have ideas for this, please let wardens or Dave Wiens know. We will prioritize these at the AGM.
- AGM FEBRUARY 11, 2018 – Vestry/Warden– with thanks to those who have served these last three years, St, Augustine’s will need a People’s Warden, a vestry clerk and there is room for other members as well. Vestry is our church council and wardens our key parish leaders. Please think and pray about who you would like to serve in these ways and ask them! It may even be you. Members to be ratified and commissioned at the AGM.
- REMINDER – AGM COMMITTEE REPORTS SHOULD BE HANDED IN BY THE 21ST OF JANUARY 2018
- ALTAR GUILD AGM – Saturday, January 20 @ 10:00 am in the Church lounge.
- BISSEL CENTRE – SUNDAY, JANUARY 21ST. we have been asked to provide a variety of food and volunteers at the Bissel Centre. Details are on the table in the basement. Please sign where ever you can assist. Thank you.
- A reminder to book any space you need at the church through the church office, so it can be checked against the master calendar.
- The church office is open Monday mornings from 9:30 to 11:30 and Thursday mornings from 9:30 to 12:00. Any mail for the office? Please drop it in the office mailbox (in the other building), or in the ‘Admin’ mailbox downstairs. There is also a form for cheque requisitions if you have receipts to submit for payment
Anglican and Beyond
Anglican’s are busy across the diocese – see more events on the Diocesan “SYNOD SCENE” at www.edmonton.anglican.org . You can get it by email too! – MORE information on notice board downstairs.
GIVE THE GIFT OF LIFE – The Diocese of Edmonton Campaign 2017 A new goal of 100 units – Donation has now achieved the goal with 118 Units of blood. Thanks to everyone who contributed. Well done!
The Bishop invites us to pray for our brothers and sisters in Buye Diocese who are suffering from the effects of drought.
NOTICE FROM DIOCESE – Rev. Canon Tom McKnight passed away on Christmas Day. Funeral details to be advised.
PLEASE CHECK THE NOTICE BOARD FOR MORE EVENTS & DETAILS
- CAPILANO PLAYSCHOOL- Two new programs starting Wednesday January 24th for 3 – 4-year old’s. See details on notice board.
- KING’S UNIVERSITY – 2018 – NEW 25 CONTINUING EDUCATON COURSES – something for everyone. The Junior String Orchestra is offered at a great price: History of Christianity and more.
- STEPHEN THE MARTER – ACW –Saturday, January 6 @ 5:00 pm– hosting an Epiphany Dinner followed by Solemn Evensong. A Vegan altetrnative will also be offered. 11723 – 93 Street – Adults $10.00 Chldren under 6 FREE.
Check out the garden at night as there are many lights and decorations! Look for the garden potluck and pre-season meeting in April 2018.
Clayton Ernst is our Parish representative on the garden committee.
THROUGH THE WEEK AT ST. A’s
Music Together – Kid’s music program. Most Monday and Thursday mornings at the church. www.musictogethernl.com
Sound Opportunity – Wednesday evenings at 7 pm www.sing4me.ca
GANG – Grandmothers of Alberta for a New Generation (GANG) works with the Stephen Lewis Foundation to support African grandmothers raising their grandchildren because of AIDS. An awareness, advocacy and fundraising group.
Education for Ministry – Thursday nights – a four- year certificate in theology.
GEA-Greater Edmonton Alliance – organization of Faith Groups, Unions, Community Action Groups and Small Businesses ‘organizing for the common good’ to give the public a voice in decision making that affects their lives.